Sunday, March 16, 2014

Boob Support

I went to a breast cancer support group at Michelle's Place the other day. It was really nice to meet other local women and as awful as it is to be qualified to be a part of the group, the group is there and it is a great resource and network for people who do need it. People like me.

There were several women at the support group. All but one looked quite a bit older than me. The facilitator had everyone speak and she started with me since I was the newest to the group. I said when I was diagnosed and what my surgery plan was.

As the women spoke and said what they were going through, what they've been through, I felt more and more like my decision to do a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction was the right one. Most of the women who chose a lumpectomy or single mastectomy were dealing with a repeat case of breast cancer. They validated my decision to not only remove my cancer but also take drastic measures to prevent a recurrence.

Some of the women had other issues as well. More than one of them was having problems dealing with the financial and insurance side of the treatments. Honestly, I haven't thought about that much because I've left that for my husband to deal with. He has saved me from a lot of added worry. Our insurance seems to be a good one since he hasn't had to fuss with them (yet).  So far, we've only had to pay the co-pay for each office visit.

It was really nice to go to the breast cancer support group. Real people who understand. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I mean, I know I'm not, but, well... in a way I am doing this alone. It's me who has to go through all of this. Everyone is on the sideline for me cheering me on, but I am the one being shoved through the operating room door.

I'll be going back to this group. They only meet once a month, so I'm not sure when I can go back again. I wish they met every day.  I have a feeling they know a lot of things and are willing to share, but I'll have to learn it on my own since I won't see them again for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good group. Glad they eased your mind. By the time they meet again you'll probably be there with bells. You're strong and healthy so you'll be "up and at 'em" in no time. Sorry I can't be there with you physically, but I'm with you all the way spiritually.

    ReplyDelete