Sunday, February 23, 2014

How is this even possible?

My cousin just announced that she has breast cancer.  Technically, she's not actually my cousin. She's my husband's first cousin's daughter on his dad's side. Her dad was one of the oldest of that set of cousins and my husband was one of the  youngest; they are different generations. So, we're the same age.  Maybe. I didn't ask her how old she is, but I think we're very close in age.  Her daughters are similar in age to my daughters, in fact they look a lot alike! So, she's my cousin-in-law and now she's my breast cancer sister.

I wish she wasn't.  I wish she didn't have this.  I wish I didn't too.

My sister in law just had it. She's married to my husband's brother, so again, not a blood relative to me, but she's one of my people.

Three Schumacher women at once.  Almost at once, my sister-in-law recently finished her treatment as far as I know.  Three of us and none of us are blood related to one another, but we are all part of this big family.

Sure hope someone finds a cure for breast cancer soon. Too many women have it. Too many women had it. And now the risk is way too high for my daughters. I'm growing more worried about their futures every day.


1 comment:

  1. Me too!!! It is hard for me to sit here and not worry about the females in my family. The risk for me and my daughter are too high also. With mom and now you, I know that I'm being supportive but am I supportive enough.

    ReplyDelete