Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Tidepooling on a Homeschool Day

Took the kids out today for some fun since it was such a nice day. It was sunny and temps in the 80s! In mid-December! Love that!

We started off thinking we would go to a museum in Balboa Park. But, they are indoor, maybe we'll go to the aquarium in La Jolla instead. We got there and decided to first stop at the beach and see if there were any sea lions laying around.

Once we got to the beach, we had so much fun that we stayed for a long time! No museum or aquarium for us, we were beach bums for the afternoon!  We spent 4 hours on the beach and the kids had no idea they were there for so long, time flies when you are having fun.

First we went to the Children's Pool to see the harbor seals laying on the sand. The name of the eddy and the little beach is "Children's Pool" no people are allowed to set foot on it when the seals are there, which  is always. According to Wikipedia, it was a shallow area perfect for children to play in and families enjoyed recreational swimming in that area. Then they built the sea wall in 1931 and the little area filled in with sand and became a favorite spot for the seals.

Charlie wanted to see the seals closer. I said ok, we'll walk around the little beach where they were, but we couldn't go past the rope. He said "Please! I promise I won't hit them! I don't have a stick!" Clubbing seals? How does he know about clubbing seals? I said that's good, but they don't want us to come near them and they don't want us to pet them. They just like to see us wave at them from way over here.

We looked at the harbor seals and wandered around the Children's Pool and out onto the sea wall. The sea wall is showing it's age. It's battered and old, the walkway is rough and the fence is rusty. It's also built with 1931 safety standards in mind. Which is to say, it isn't Charlie-proof.  We couldn't spend much time on it for fear that he would fall through the fence and go for a swim. No, Thank you!  Luckily, he was listening halfways ok at that point and didn't fall off the sea wall. Whew!

After a little jaunt on the seawall, waving and yelling hello to all of the seals who would look and listen, we went down to the tidepools. I warned the kids not to get wet. I didn't bring dry clothes or a towel. What was I thinking? I knew I had extra pants for Libby and Charlie because I always bring some just in case they spill or have a potty accident, but I never bring much more than that. They tiptoed in the water, just getting wet up to their ankles. Then shins.  Knees.  And, then two of them fell in and one sat on a wet rock. All of them were soaking wet! Gracie and Libby managed to keep their shirts dry but Charlie was wet from the chest on down. His shoulders and head were dry, I guess that's something.

They found a little alcove which they called a cave and they explored it like it was a big dark cavern. In it they found a couple of puddles, crabs and lots of seashells and barnacles. They were fascinated by everything in it, including it's shapes and slopes. Very cool.

They also found what I think are anemone, but I'm not entirely sure. They are clumps of gooshy stuff with seashells stuck to them and they'll squirt you if you poke at them, so whatever they are, they are alive. But they don't look like sea flowers like the ones in the aquarium, so I'm not sure what these things are. Maybe a gooshy variety of anemone. I told the kids that they were anemones and I feigned confidence in my marine life knowledge. Hopefully, they'll never know that I'm just guessing.

The tidepools are so much fun, the kids could stay there hopping around in the water all day long! They just loved it. The seals were nearby, but not too near. Libby was having a great time finding sea shells. She found a few empty clam shells and we noted the huge piles of them all around where the seals lay. Seals think clams are yummy. I don't agree, but I might have to introduce the kids to clam chowder someday. They might like it.

We walked back to the car and I grabbed the emergency diaper bag (that contains no diapers anymore) from the trunk and we headed across the park to the restrooms. I got Charlie and Libby into dry undies and pants, and Charlie took off his cold wet shirt and just wore a jacket. But, poor Gracie was stuck wearing wet shorts. I got her a sweatshirt though, I was actually just pulled it from our donation bag and was using the old sweatshirt as a cover for some Christmas gifts that are hiding in the trunk, now it was being used for it's actual purpose. The afternoon was cooling off quickly and the wet child needed the extra layer. It fit her too! Guess she has a new sweatshirt.

While we were on the other side of the park, we looked over the railing to see the sea lions on that side. They were loud. One in particular was very loud. He was huge too! He looked angry. Did you know that they are territorial? They don't like anyone to get in their space. They look like blobs, but they are actually pretty fast when they want to be and they are mean too. They'll bite! Knowing that.... here is the dumbass of the day photo. The seal lunged at him and barked, but the guy barely flinched. Guess he didn't realize how lucky he was to still be standing.

The kids wanted to climb the trees. They are great for climbing, nice and low. I wanted to get going, but they are kids, and there were trees. There was no way I was gonna win over the trees, so I just waited it out while they got their climbing fix.

We saw a lot of birds too: seagulls and pelicans. And we saw an incredible amount of bird poop. It looks like the cliffs are painted white, it is bird poop! Tons of it! Can you imagine how much is in the water? Eww. And yuck, I let the kids wade in that! Overall, we saw a lot of marine life: Sea lions, Harbor Seals, anemones, crabs, and the birds. Turned out to be a good homeschooling activity!







No comments:

Post a Comment