Saturday, January 4, 2014

A Real Resolution

I decided to make a real resolution for 2014.  I will also try to keep my "have a better year" resolution, but I'm going to add something to it that falls into the normal range of new year's resolution type of things.

I am going to declutter.  Just bits at a time, in an attempt to keep up.  The kids outgrow things so fast that it hardly seems fair to get rid of things when we've only owned them a year or less.  I need to try to declutter a wee bit though. And a wee bit is all it takes to make a big difference!

I am going to resolve to fill and donate 52 bags of clothes, shoes, toys, and junk in general.  Or treasures. Junk is treasure!  And I will donate 52 bags of it.  That should be a decent enough tax write off at the end of the year too.

Every Wednesday, I have coffee with my friends. There is a donation bin next to the coffee shop where we meet.  It looks like a book drop.  If I take along a grocery sack filled with donations and drop it in the bin each week, it will only be a grocery sack full and it will be handy.  That sounds plausible. I can do a grocery sack once a week.  That really isn't much when you consider how many I bring in vs. how many go out!

I think I'm a hoarder on the edge of totally filling up my house to the ceiling with stacks of useless stuff.  Might as well donate it to the hoarding Gods and let someone else give my clutter a home. If I had more storage space, I would fill it!  And I would have no idea what I had in there.  In fact, I do have totes in my house that I have not opened in years and years. I have absolutely no idea what they contain.

Time to make the effort to keep up a bit. 52 bags.  One per week.  I can do that!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a wonderful resolution. I'm pumped on my saving money resolution, not spending in the vending machine. Helps that candy bars are now .85. Let me know when you declutter enough that you need a visit from me, I will bring your china from Spuddie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One week into January and I'm ahead! I dropped a bag into the donation bin, and gave a bag of maternity clothes to a pregnant lady, and there are three more bags for the donation bin in the trunk of my car. That's 5 bags so far! 47 more to go!

    ReplyDelete