Thursday, January 23, 2014

Improved Ironing Area

I suppose this post should really be on my sewing blog, but it's my personal space, so I'm blogging it on my personal blog.

I need more storage space and less clutter laying about.  One day I looked at my ironing board and realized it's taking up  a lot of space and I really only use half of the top surface. Yet, it takes up an entire wall of space.  Most of that space is for the legs of the ironing board. That's just silly!

I could have a tabletop ironing board and an Ikea shelving unit filled with my stuff. What a great idea!

My husband thought buying a dresser off of craigslist was a better idea. I told him no, that's actually more expensive and will hold less stuff. The Ikea unit has one lateral shelf vs. three rows of drawers. I'll be able to stuff it with a lot more fabric than a dresser of the same height. Plus, this would be cheaper. He groaned. I know he's not a fan of the way Ikea furniture looks, he thinks it is too cheap and looks too cheap. He might be right, but he doesn't have to look at it (much).

After pondering this thought for a month or so, I finally went to Ikea and bought the unit.  It just barely fit into my car, but it fit! I couldn't lift the box that it came in so when I got home I opened the box and carried the shelves in and up the stairs one at a time.

I cleaned my ironing area. Whoa. I've been wasting a nice space. Look at that!

It took me two hours to put it together, but I put it together! I messed it up once and had to take part of it apart and reassemble a bit, but in the end: Success!
After getting it put together, I filled up the shelves. They filled in pretty fast. I ran to Target and got a tabletop ironing board and my new ironing area is complete.  I'm so excited to have all of this storage instead of wasting the space for ironing board legs.
Here it is stocked and topped with a cute little ironing board.

4 comments:

  1. Where can I find out about your sewing blog. I have a friend who is interested in reading about your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the side margin, there are links to my blogs. My sewing blog is at: http://marymadeitsewing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete