Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Haircuts

All of us girls got fresh new haircuts to start the year.

When it comes to haircuts, I get nervous.  I have never trusted anyone to give me a decent haircut. I've had a few good haircuts, and then those stylists disappear off the face of the earth as if the hair world is saying to me, "Ha! You'll never get another haircut as good as that one!" I usually get something that looks like I went to the preschool and let the kids go at me with their safety scissors (the ones that don't cut anything but paper still cut hair).  And then I pay these people for my terrible haircut! Every dang time!  So, I have this trust issue with hair people.

The girls don't. They were super excited for haircuts.

I decided to ask my friend, Amanda, to cut our hair. She doesn't cut hair, but she is amazing at doing hair and make-up. With a beauty minded friend like that, I was willing to bet my hair that she could cut it and it would look pretty good. I figured I could go to a salon where the stylists are trained and experienced, or go to Amanda who doesn't cut hair and the odds were probably in favor of my friend.  So, I begged her to cut our hair. I told her I would bring a bottle of wine and that way neither one of us would care if it was perfect. On that note, she agreed.

Here is a wild hair "Before" picture:

Between the two of us, our available time slot was early afternoon. Kind of early for wine, so we skipped that. As I guessed, we didn't need it to look good. She did a great job!

Gracie was first. She wanted a nice short bob. Gracie wanted to be cute and bouncy.  Amanda cut off about 4 or 5 inches of hair and gave her an adorable little sassy cut. It looks great and has been very easy to care for. Gracie has very thick hair. It isn't the easiest stuff to manage, but Amanda did a great job of cutting it evenly and it lays nicely.  She looks fabulous!

Libby was next. She wanted it as short as Gracie's.  I said no to that because Libby has only had one haircut before and it was just a little trim! The hair she was born with is still on the ends of her long hair and I was having a hard time parting with it. She was loving the idea of short hair.

I told Amanda that I was ok with 4 inches or so coming off so that her hair was straight across and significantly shorter, but still down past her shoulders so that it's still long. She agreed and thought that length would be just right.   Amanda had fun cutting off the baby hair on the end, and she bound it together so that I could take it home. I was being ridiculously sentimental, but she humored me.  It's a silly mom thing.

Libby's cut is adorable! She looks super cute! Her hair is bouncy and looks so much healthier. Amanda gave her a pretty little heart shaped braid to finish her off. I nearly had a cute attack! Like Gracie's cut, it's nice and even and straight.

My turn. Oddly enough, I wasn't feeling anxious at all. I was feeling confident.  Love that! I never feel that way when I get my hair cut. I always feel like I'm about to do something really stupid and will soon regret it. Totally didn't feel that way when I sat down. I was right! My haircut was done nicely and I was very happy with it! She trimmed it up so that it was even and healthy looking again. It feels great! I knew she could do it! Amanda was amazed at how thick my hair is, but it didn't scare her off.

Amanda gave us three nice haircuts! We're all adorable now!

2 comments:

  1. where are your "before and after" pics??? I want to see your cuteness just like my cute granddaughters. I always liked you kids with short hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, where are your before and after.

    ReplyDelete