Thursday, April 10, 2014

Wig Shopping

Today, I was feeling pretty good after I got some rock solid sleep. My sister took me out for some fresh air and sunshine. So nice!

Since surgery, the only time I've been out is to go to my doctor appointments. I've been out three times, and each was straight to the doctor and straight home again. I haven't been strong enough to even want to go anywhere, not even to the yard to get some fresh air.

Today, I was determined to get out because I think it would be good for me and it might be nice to see if the world is still out there. It was such a nice afternoon!  We didn't leave the house until nearly 1pm because the home health nurse came to check on me and she was running late. As soon as she left, I put clothes on and we got in the car.

I don't move very fast, but Pat sure does. She was running circles around the car opening her door, then mine, then running back around.

First stop was the farmer's market. I love this place. They have a delicious green smoothie that is full of nutrition, high in iron, and yummy! They make it with fresh organic vegetables and pineapple juice. It's very good! I figure I need the high iron anyway and it's a nice cool treat to take along in the hot car. We both got one but the girl who was working there made Pat's with mango instead of pineapple. So, her smoothie wasn't as sweet, but I didn't offer to trade. Hahaha!

Then we went to an ATM to grab some cash for the kids' school field trip. We have to pay for the field trip this week, even though it isn't until April 28. The field trip destination: Lego-Land!  This is a self-guided tour. Cool! I'm not going, but the kids are going with Lexie and I still had to fork over the cash for their field trip admission tickets.

Next stop: Wig Shop. We planned to go in and look around and maybe try some on and giggle. We went to the address of the wig shop that google found for us, and it wasn't there. It was a pub and restaurant and looked like it was just being remodeled into the pub business from whatever store it was before. We wandered a wee bit on the one block where the wig shop should have been and we found a couple of cute boutiques. Looking around was kind of fun. We weren't buying anything, just browsing for enjoyment.

We decided to try another wig shop.  Google gave us the address and we typed it into the car's navigation. We got there just fine, but there was no wig shop. It was a strip mall that had a bridal shop, dancewear store, and window coverings store. hmmm.  Finding a wig shop is a lot harder than we anticipated!

We tried one last time before giving up. If we actually find a store that sells wigs, we will proclaim this adventure as a success. We actually found the wig shop! It was on a small street around behind a main street and the shop was inside another shop, just in a back room.

The lady who walked us back to the wig shop in the back room of this store told us that we couldn't try any on unless she helped us, and I had too much hair to try one on. That's ok, we were short on time by now anyway. We just stood in the middle of the wig room and looked around. We touched a few of them and they all felt nice, some are synthetic, some are human hair, some are a mixture. They were fine. The majority of the wigs were not anything that would be flattering on me, but we saw some fun wigs and some nice wigs that would be appropriate for me and look good. It was fun to go there and be amongst the wigs and see them up close.

I don't know if I'll really need a wig, or if I'll want to wear one. Who knows. But, if I do, I wanted to wig shop with my sister while she is here. I'm really happy that she came with me. We did some giggling and some looking. It was nice to do that together. She reminded me that blondes have more fun!

I think I did pick out a favorite (for today, I might change my mind a million times) and I liked the soft curls, the length and the color. This one just drew me in.

I might just buy a bottle of sunscreen and rub it on my bald head and run around with my scalp all naked and exposed too. Who knows. I've decided to do whatever I'm in the mood to do. I'm a wee bit afraid of running around with a naked scalp though, because my hair is super thick and it's dark. The skin on my head has never seen the light of day. It's probably white as snow and it'll burn to a crisp very quickly. We shall see, I guess. In the meantime, I had a good time getting out of the house and doing some boutique and wig shopping (without buying) with my sister. It was a nice afternoon outing!

Then I came home and sacked out! So exhausted!

3 comments:

  1. It was fun and the lady was very nice and helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was your therapy shopping??? And you didn't buy anything, but a smoothie.
    What kind of therapy is that? But it sounds like a fun day and that was probably enough therapy for Mary anyway. You wore her out. Bet she slept good that night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. That was NOT retail therapy! I'll let you know when I do my retail therapy. I feel like this deserves a big retail shopping trip - it will be costly!

    ReplyDelete