Saturday, April 5, 2014

Three Check-ups In a Row

Three post -op checkups this week!

Monday, I saw Dr. Moon, the general surgeon.
I wrote about this one already, because this is the doctor who gave me the pathology report. He also looked at my incisions and decided all was well with healing and stuff. Swelling was insignificant, skin was healthy (not turning black and dying, which I guess is an issue sometimes, eww). And he said I need to see an oncologist, whoever is assigned to me by my insurance and primary care doctor.

I really like this doctor, and his staff are very friendly too. But, his staff need to learn how to operate the fax machine. My treatment has been slowed considerably by their lack of faxing skills. Seriously, why are they even using fax machines in this day and age? My only other complaint is that I have to sit in his waiting room for freaking ever! Last time I was there I waited an hour and a half, this time I waited an hour, then another 20 minutes or so in the exam room. I was dying! Literally! I felt awful and sitting in a hard plastic chair in the waiting room isn't good for someone who is weak from just having surgery. It was difficult to get through and I was feeling dizzy and nauseous before I was even seen. Ugh.  He's worth the wait though, he's a really great guy and he has something that I value in a doctor: common sense!  He talks to us like we are people, not burdens in his busy day. And he explains things.  The guy is great.

After we got home, I called Dr. Sellinger, who is not my primary care doctor, but she is my OB and she is the one who referred me for the mammogram and later received the biopsy lab results called to tell me that I have breast cancer.  She told me then that I would need to see Dr. Moon the surgeon and an onocologist after surgery. Since then I lost the oncologist information. I called Sellinger's office and asked for my referral information again and the receptionist was able to find it quickly.

I called the oncologist's office and the receptionist there took my name and information. She said she had to clear the insurance and get my records from the other doctors. She would  call me in a few days with an appointment. There are three doctors in their practice, and I didn't have a preference since I don't know any of them, nor have I heard about any of them. I told her they could fight over me.

Wednesday, I saw Dr. Simimi, the plastic surgeon.
I didn't have to drive to San Diego to see him this time. I was able to get an appointment here. He comes here once a week and has an office in La Jolla too. I actually had to reschedule this appointment because it was originally scheduled for five days after surgery, but I was still in the hospital.

When I got called back into his office, first thing he asked me was "how long were you in the hospital? You had blood transfusions, right? That's a long time." He remembered (or he just read my chart) and was concerned. That's so nice.

I had to don a paper vest, which is stupid since it just gets in the way and they push it off to the side anyway, and it doesn't fit and it's simply a waste of pink paper. Whatever. He looked at his artwork and declared my new chest "beautiful! just beautiful!" He was very happy with his work. So impressed that he called in another doctor and she came in, looked and told him good job and ran out again. The nurse was nodding and agreeing with every compliment that he gave himself. Nobody has loved looking at my boobs so much since I had a hungry newborn baby. Same expression.

He was quite pleased with himself.  And he did do a good job, they are even, shaped nicely, placed nicely, the skin isn't rippled or puckered, the incisions are symmetrical, and he thinks scarring will be smooth and minimal. I don't know about that, but I'll take smooth. That would be nice. And I agree that he did a good job with size and placement and all. I didn't get to choose the size, I just told him I want it to look normal under clothing and I don't need a "Friday Night Set". He said he liked having the liberty to do what he wanted in the operating room and knowing I was going to be easy to please (ha, fooled him! I'm actually a very picky person). I'm glad he did what he thought was best, he's the boob professional, not me.

He told me that he worked hard to get my new implants just right. He placed one set of implants in and he wasn't pleased with them so he took them out and started over with this set. These are a little bigger than the ones he originally placed. So, I did get 4 implants after all!  Two placed in, discarded, and two different ones placed. Four must be my lucky number. I have the gummy bear implants, which were his recommendation when I first saw him. I'm glad I did what he recommended and let him choose the size and placement. The only thing I asked was that it looked natural and normal under clothing. My only goal is to feel like myself and not struggle with clothing. I told him that saving the nipples is not important to me because I wear clothes. He was originally concerned about saving the nipples, but that affected placement and he seemed relieved to have more freedom without worrying about the nipples. I learned that saving them is only for looks because after the surgery the nerves are dead to them so they have no sensation.

He also said he used a large piece of mesh to create a good sling to hold in the implants. An inner bra, sort of. It supports the implant and the muscle somehow. He sewed it all in and liked the job he did. I received two pieces of information after surgery explaining that the mesh was created using donated cadaver skin and I received instructions on how to thank the donor's family for the deceased person's gift. Wow. I need to figure out a way to word my gratitude that doesn't sound conceited. "Thanks for contributing to my boob job, they look great" doesn't sound quite right.

I also received information about my implant tracking numbers. Apparently, my boobs can be tracked. I think they are printed with a number on them; I don't think there is a GPS microchip in them, but you never know.

The drains didn't come out though. He said they are still draining and he doesn't want the fluid to build up inside of me and cause problems. I don't want that either, and my drains are not bothering me one bit. I made pockets for them and they never pull or tug on me, so they're fine. I can get them out in a week or two, but the drainage has to be less than 20 ml in 24 hours for at least 3 days. He had me make an appointment for two weeks from now to remove them. So, I'll see him in two weeks I guess. He liked how my skin was healing also. He said the little bit of oozing from my incisions wasn't anything of concern. Then he complimented his artwork some more. I started to wonder if he signed it.

Thursday, the Home Health Nurse came over.
She took my blood pressure and my temperature, made notes, asked me questions, made notes.  Most of her questions centered on depression. Apparently, this is the time that depression should strike. I think I'm ok. I actually feel a lot better than I did before the surgery, except now I'm anxious about chemo and there are a lot of unanswered questions in my mind about that.

She wanted to see my incisions too. Why not. I've been flashing everyone this week. She whipped out a measuring tape and measured my incisions.  I had never thought of doing that before; I hadn't even wondered. Of course, now I'm dying to find out the grand total. She measured each incision. I have an upside down T shaped incision on each side, plus the two small incisions on my lower ribs. I have a grand total of 34 inches of incisions. 34"!

All in all, I'm healing nicely although slowly. I have an oncologist appointment next week and the home health nurse will be back to check on me again.

PS - I hope to blog about something more exciting than breast cancer very soon. I'm ready to write about something more fun than this!

2 comments:

  1. It may not be fun to blog about breast cancer, but it is interesting. I never had all those options. It was just "this is bad, needs to come out, do it right now". So I did as told. No questions. Spent my 56th birthday in the hospital, but got lots of cards, balloons, and attention because of it. I guess something good comes out of all the down sides and frustration after all. Just takes awhile to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Nobody has loved looking at my boobs so much since I had a hungry newborn baby. Same expression."

    I literally doubled over laughing at this. The boys wanted to know what I was laughing about, but decided they really didn't want to know.

    I am amazed at your ability to laugh at the situation! That is bound to help the healing process. Remember I am just a call or text away if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete