Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Eye Exam

I went and had my eyes checked today. I have to blog about it even though it's a boring subject because I need to remember when I did this. I can't remember when the last time was that I got my eyes checked, but I know it was at Super Target and the girls had their eyes checked too. I think Gracie was in kindergarten, but I can't remember exactly. So, for my own memory (or lack of), I got my eyes checked today: Jan 28, 2015. Now, in two or three years, I just have to remember where my reminder is.

Again, I had my eyes checked at Super Target. It was a weird appointment.

First of all, I had to take my 4 year old grandson with me. His mom was sick, so he became my eye exam helper. Luckily for him, it didn't take long.

My appointment was for 10:00 am and I was called back to the exam room at 10:15. I was in my car in the parking lot at 10:30.  Not even kidding.

The doctor had me look in one machine and look at a picture. I'm pretty sure this is the machine that measures the eye. I looked at the picture. It was a highway with a hot air balloon on the horizon. Then I had to look in the machine that puffs air onto your eye. I hate that one! I jump so high every time, even though I know what's going to happen.

I moved up to the big chair and looked through the giant thing that hangs from the ceiling. He said "Can you see that row of letters?" Then he said things like, "which one is better A or B? A or B? 1 or 2?"  We did a few rounds of that game and then he wrote out a prescription.

He wrote it for almost the same Rx that I had last time, and I know for a fact that my eyes are worse. This Rx is not worse, it's better. Plus, he added a bifocal Rx to it. He didn't even test me for up close reading. I'm so confused.

Now I am wondering if I should get my eyes checked again, use my old Rx to order glasses, or what. I guess I'll go to Walmart and try out all the reading glasses and see which one works best for me. I really don't trust the prescription since it was a total guess. I'm sure my insurance won't cover two eye exams in one year, so I think I'm kind of screwed.

{Insert sounds of me growling in grumpiness}

By the way, Charlie was very good while I got my eyes checked. I bought him a stuffed pink pig and he was a happy little boy with his new pink pig, which he promptly named Pinky. It's a boy.

4 comments:

  1. Are you having trouble seeing? I thought all that medication messed with your vision anyway and you would probably have to wait until it's all out of your system before they get a true picture of your vision. Sounds like a weird examination, but what do I know! Glad Charlie had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got mine checked at Wal-Mart, but may have to find a new location because of the fit I threw with their handling of insurance (got paid twice and took forever to reimburse me). Jennifer got hers done at Eye Mart and like their service. We were both seen for more than 15 minutes by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be for the better if you get a second opinion, if you’re not confident about the result of your previous eye checkup. Unfortunately, your insurance might not cover the second one. You might as well wait for another year or pay for your own consultation. Well, I hope you were able to arrive at the best option. Thanks for sharing Mary. Take care!


    Doris Gibbs @ Moody Eyes

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you don’t feel like trusting the prescription, you should go ahead and get another one. Or, you could go back to the doctor and ask for clarifications on the things you were doubtful of. Randomly trying glasses without a trusty prescription is risky, as it could give you headaches and eye pains. Well, I hope you got this already sorted out. Take care!

    Lucius Calhoun @ Bolton Vision Centre

    ReplyDelete